Retinal Protection Sciences
Retinal Protection Sciences, LLC (RPS) was founded by Jeffrey K Luttrull, MD in 2016 to commercialize the intellectual property developed by Dr. Luttrull, based on his nearly 20 years of groundbreaking advancements in the field of retinal laser and prevention and treatment of the most important causes of irreversible visual loss. Dr. Luttrull’s innovative work in restorative retinal therapy has led to recognition of Dr. Luttrull as one of the world’s leading authorities on laser treatment and restorative treatment of the retina. RPS is developing a class 2B medical device and system (SAPRA™, for Safe-Pulse™ Retinal Activation™). The principal components of the SAPRA™ include a confocal scanning laser ophthalmoscope video camera, laser, software, automated safety technology and other proprietary elements. These include groundbreaking Dynamic Dosimetry™ technology that measures retinal pigment density in realtime to perfectly adjust treatment parameters and, for the first time in the history of retinal laser treatment, guarantee treatment safety.
SAPRA™ will be first preventative and therapeutic treatment for all of the most important and widespread causes of irreversible blindness worldwide. These are chronic progressive retinopathies (CPRs), and include age-related macular degeneration (AMD), diabetic retinopathy (DR), open angle glaucoma (OAG) and inherited retinal degenerations (IRD ) such as retinitis pigmentosa (RP). Each are forms of neurodegenerative disease, and as such, have much in common. SAPRA™ is designed to address these commonalities to reverse the disease process, improve vision, and prevent visual loss.
RPS believes that the future of medical care is in disease prevention and functional restoration and regeneration. RPS believes this is done best done by the body itself. When this is successful, the powerful natural physiologic reparartive responses to disease are perfectly tailored, maximally safe, renewable and most effective, avoiding the risks and side effects of drugs and surgery.
Aging is a modern problem. Thus, our bodies are not designed to address the problems of aging. While we have powerful and highly effective systems for repair, healing and regeneration, the key drivers of aging and the chronic progressive diseases that plague the modern world do not activate or engage these processes. This failure of chronic disease recognition and repair activation can become so marked that the reparative processes themselves can become dysfunctional to the point of failure.
SAPRA™ is designed to activate and engage these powerful natural reparative processes safely and effectively to slow, stop, or reverse progression of CPRs to improve vision and reduce the risks of vision loss. SAPRA™ uses patented processes in a highly automated format to deliver Retinal Protective Therapy™ optimized for maximum treatment safety, efficacy and comfort, in just seconds. This is SAPRA™ Laser Vision Protection™.
Summary: Think of SAPRA™ as the therapeutic analogue of the OCT. SAPRA™ can be be used to treat ~ everything the OCT can be used to diagnose, and more. Unilke the OCT, SAPRA™ generates a continuous revenue stream to the Company. The potential patient population of SAPRA™ numbers nearly 1 billion persons worldwide. SAPRA™ is designed to meet that need – the need for therapeutic and preventive treatment, and regular maintenance as well.
RPS anticipates completion of SAPRA™ regulatory approval late 2019 – early 2020 and looks forward to providing those at risk for vision loss with this new, innovative and powerful tool.
SAPRA™ ‘s innovative design, use and technologies are patent protected. Issued patents include:
- U.S. Patent No. 9,381,115 System and process for retina phototherapy. Filed May 12, 2012; awared July 5, 2016.
- U.S. Patent No. 9,168,174. Process for restoring responsiveness to medication in tissues of living organisms. Filed January 25, 2015; awarded September 4, 2015
- U.S. Patent No. 9,381,116. Subthreshold micropulse prophylactic treatment for chronic progressive retinal diseases. Filed October 23, 2015; awarded July 5, 2016.
- U.S. Patent No. 9,427,602. Pulsating electromagnetic and ultrasound for stimulating targeted heat shock proteins for achieving retinal repair. Filed Oct 26, 2015; awared August 30, 2016.
- U.S. Patent No. 9,962,291. System and process for neuroprotective therapy for glaucoma. Filed: August 9, 2016, awarded May 1, 2018.
- U.S. Patent No. 10,076,671 Apparatus for retinal phototherapy, filed July 1, 2016; awarded Sept 2018.
- U.S. Patent No. 10,117,777 System for neuroprotective therapy for glaucoma. Filed Oct 24, 2916; awarded Nov 6, 2018.
- U.S. Patent No. 10,219, 947. System and process for retina phototherapy. Filed March 13, 2013; awarded March 5, 2019.
- U.S. Patent No. 10,238, 542. System and process for retinal phototherapy. Filed June 6, 2016; awared March 26, 2019.
Appropriate protection has been sought for each of these US patents in other key jurisdictions throughout the world. Additionally, there are numerous applications pending that continue, expand and extend the core intellectual property of these patents.
Jeffrey K Luttrull, MD Founder, Chief Executive and Medical Officer
Benjamin WL Margolis, MA Chief Engineering Officer
David B Chang, PhD Chief Scientific Officer
Harry Carneal Chief of Business Development